6 Modern Farmhouse Laundry Room Ideas ~ Fixer Upper Style

Apr 8

I know that the word farmhouse has been overused as of late, but I am here to show you that this modern farmhouse laundry room renovation can withstand the current decor trend for many years.

6 items that absolutely create a farmhouse laundry room vibe:

No. 1 ~ Vintage Sink

Having a vintage porcelain utility sink was priority #1 when I was designing this space.  I was lucky enough to score one off of Craigslist for $150.00. Since the sink was in mint condition, a good cleaning was literally all it needed to shine.

We added a faucet from Wayfair to be able to easily give our small dogs a bath and to spray out stains on our clothes. We also bought these table legs which were attached underneath the sink to give it some additional support. I painted them black using Annie Sloan chalk paint.

No. 2 ~ Shiplap

Shiplap. Yes, shiplap is definitely a must for all of us Joanna Gaines fans!  I just love the texture and feel it gives a room. We bought ours from Home Depot in 4×8 sheets of plywood and had a millwork associate cut 6″ wide planks for us.

My husband installed the planks. I used Behr Premium Plus Ultra paint that I had custom matched in Decorator’s White by Benjamin Moore. Behr Premium Plus Ultra is my favorite line of paint for interior and exterior painting projects. This paint covers beautifully and often with just one coat.

No. 3 ~ Barn Doors

When we were designing this space, I knew I wanted to incorporate barn doors on our utility area. We needed doors that were able to hide the furnace, water heater and plumbing that are all eyesores. The barn doors not only hide all that, but they also allow for easy access in case any of those items ever need servicing or replaced.

These barn doors are the real deal. They came off an old barn that was being torn down. These doors are legit and extremely solid. My husband cut the doors down to size and I painted them in color Decorator’s White by Benjamin Moore. These iron handles from Magnolia Market were added for easy opening. You can also find the sliding track we installed to hang the barn doors on Amazon.

No. 4 ~ Patterned Tile

I fell in love with patterned tile recently. I know that it can go in and out of style; however, it was a component I definitely wanted to add to the laundry room to liven it up. Choosing a black and white pattern is classic and will last through changing trends. This one from Home Depot was an excellent price and exactly what I was looking for.

The laundry room was my first solo tiling gig and it was such a fun experience. My husband was out of town working and I surprised him when I sent him photos of my progress. I’m a little biased; but for my first time, I don’t think it looks too bad!

vintage decor

No. 5 ~ Antique Cabinet

When we were finished with the walls and installing the sink, I knew there was space on the other side of the dryer to install some kind of storage unit. I love uniqueness and a standard box storage cabinet wasn’t going to work for me. So, I stored the dimensions of the space in my notes on my phone to have it handy when I was out shopping. I also knew I wanted to add some blue to the room because it is one of my favorite colors.

So, you can only imagine my excitement when I came in sight of this dresser at the Hobnob Market. I was completely blown away by the original crystal knobs, as well as, the layers upon layers of paint. BUT–that gorgeous blue, along with the excellent price, was what sealed the deal. Plus, its dimensions were perfect for our space! It was definitely meant to be ~ love it when that happens!!

No. 6 ~ Jute Rug

And last, but not least, a jute rug. The texture that this style of rug adds to the room is so amazing. I really like how thick it is too. The color is perfect for bringing all the elements of the room together. It also feels incredible to walk on with bare feet. Just a little side bonus while you are working hard on the dirty laundry!  There are many different styles of jute rugs available ~ this one from Overstock is similar to the one shown in our laundry room.

Creating a space you love to look at and that feels cozy sure makes completing a daily chore more enjoyable! Don’t you agree?

If you have any questions or comments, please share them below.

Did you like this post? Be sure to save it on Pinterest! Also, follow my blog with Bloglovin

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. andra says:

Your top three are things that I absolutely want and I couldn’t agree more with your list :).

2. The SINK…the TILE….the RUG!!!! I love everything about this. You have such a great eye for design 😀

3. Melanie says:

It is so perfect! My house is almost 100 years old, and we love all of its vintage potential. But the previous owner took a lot of that charm away in efforts to modernize. I’m trying to add it back in, and this laundry room is totally inspiring me.

• admin says:

Melanie, I’m so glad this post could provide some inspiration for you. Older homes are my weakness!! There is so much charm and character in them. Have fun along the way adding those elements back in to your home room by room. ~Kari

4. Noelle says:

OMG I could literally live in that laundry room and be happy for the rest of my life. THANK YOU FOR THIS! Now I know what my next project will be…

• admin says:

Thank you for your lovely comment, Noelle!! Redoing our laundry room has been one of my favorite projects so far….sure makes doing the laundry a lot more fun. 🙂 ~Kari

5. Julie says:

I love the ideas that you had. I have a small laundry room that also doubles as a pantry so a lot of these wouldn’t work for mine but I love the idea of the shiplap and tiles behind the washer and dryer. I wasn’t going to do anything with that room but I may have to try something now.

• admin says:

Julie, thanks for your kind comments. Nothing wrong with small spaces, they sure can be can be charming, too. Definitely give the shiplap and tile a try, I don’t think you’ll regret it. 🙂 ~Kari

6. Wow! What a gorgeous laundry room. I love our tips and how you styled the space. 🙂

7. Sarah says:

Love, love, love!! “Fixer Upper” style is the best and you did an excellent job! What a beautiful laundry room! We’re planning to build next year and I’m going to have to save this for ideas!

• admin says:

Wow, thank you so much that is exactly what I was hoping for. I love inspiring people to create ideas. Congrats on building your new home! ~Kari

8. I absolutely LOVE these ideas! we are renovating our house and I want the farmhouse look. I always forget about craigslist! I don’t know which item is my favorite but if I had to pick probably the cabinet!!

• admin says:

Super pumped that you like my ideas! Thanks so much, Sarah. Craigslist is a hidden gem for home decor. I agree with you – the layers of blue on the cabinet are pretty amazing. ~Kari

9. Cathy says:

I love your ideas here! We bought an antique barn door from a West Virginia Railroad station at an antique store in Richmond Virginia. This will be used as a barn door to separate our laundry room and kitchen sitting room area.

I also love your pattern tile and I’m still trying to decide whether that’s the way I want to go with our laundry room backsplash. My husband wants to incorporate blue in there and I think that would be the perfect touch.

Thanks again for sharing! Love your site!

• Kari says:

Cathy, thank you so much! You should definitely install the barn door you won’t regret it. We are really enjoying ours. The patterned tiles are still one of my favorite elements of the room! I think your husband is right about incorporating some blue in there. 🙂

10. Jenessa says:

Beautiful DIY and your whole website is stunning

11. Suzanne says:

That’s a beautiful laundry room.

join the list